Previously, in our blog, we are making you aware of the brave warriors of the country and paying tribute to them. Trishul Defense Academy salutes their patriotism, courage and valour. They are the true son of Mother India. Let us remember another hero who continuously fired with his leg, Major Shaitan Singh.
MAJOR SHAITAN SINGH
- On December 1,1924 this hero came into the world and became a part of military family lives in Jodhpur, Rajasthan.
- Son of an Army officer Lt Col Hem Singh Bhati, Maj Shaitan Singh was commissioned into the Kumaon Regiment on 01 Aug 1949.
- The Indo-China war of 1962, offered Maj Shaitan Singh the opportunity to show his valour in Chushul sector of Ladakh.
- .During the war Maj Shaitan Singh’s unit was deployed at Rezang La post in that sector at a height of 17000 feet.
- He was awarded Param Vir Chakra for his courage and sacrifice own life for the others.
A SHORT STORY OF WAR
- At that time, Major Shaitan Singh was commanding ‘C’ Company of the 13th Kumaon Battalion held Rezang La, a pass to the south-east of Chushul Valley in Ladakh (Jammu and Kashmir) at an altitude of a towering 5,000 metres
- ON 18 November 1962, the climate was very cold having bitter wind were creating problem to the soldiers as they were not familiar with the weather.
- The Chinese soldiers are used to the intervening weather and they have much more powerful artilleries than India.
- Chinese were came with full preparation whereas Indian troops had only 300-400 rounds of bullets and 1000 grenades.
- Chinese soldiers began to move and attacked the platoon No7 and 8.
- Major has led the battalion and platoon with d exemplary leadership and bravery.
- Both the forces were firing on each other with rifles, light machine guns, grenades and mortars, however, the artillery could not be used.
- Seeking the situation Major talked to his seniors but they show their inability and told him to back off and save the life of his colleagues.
- He and his troops refused to retreat and fought bravely till their last breath.
- In the battle, many soldiers died but the Chinese suffer from heavy casualties.
- Although Major was extremely wounded he didn’t stop, he was bleeding badly his arm stops working.
- Seeing the condition of the major two comrades took him to the behind of rocks and request him for a medical treatment which is not possible at that place.
- For treatment, they have to go down. from the top and he refused.
- He ordered them to bring machine gun and tied to his leg and also continued to fire and sent the soldiers to save their lives.
END OF THE ONE MAN ARMY
After the war ends the Red Cross Society and army personnel started searching for them. they had been told by someone that beneath the rock there is someone.
They found the body of the Major which was frozen due to snow.
After death still, his machine gun was found tied with his leg.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF WAR
With his body, other 114 bodies of troops were also found. Although India had lost the war, later it was found that the biggest loss of China’s army was on Rejang La.
Around 1800 soldiers from China were killed at this place. This was the only place where the Indian Army did not allow the Chinese Army to enter.
Later he was cremated with state honours at his home town Jodhpur. After this, he received the Param Vir Chakra, the country’s largest gallantry award for his unfaltering courage, leadership and exemplary devotion to duty.
Hats off to his courage.
Students and Fellow Readers it’s so easy to write about them or hear about them but this act of sacrificing one’s own life for others needs courage which only a few men have. Let us all salute these men and see them as Our Role Models.
Trishul Defence Academy Addresses
Corporate office: -Gayatri Dham Building, Milan Tower, Behind Max Mall, Civil Lines, Prayagraj (U.P.) 211001, Contact: 8400083030
Branch Offices :
AGRA:- 16,17,18 Balaji Complex Silver City, Gwalior Road Agra Cantt
Contact : 6399013030
BAREILLY:– 35A Civil Lines, Chauki Chauraha, Near Amaya Hotel, Bareilly (U.P.) Contact : 9690502728
RANCHI:- 6th Floor Jagganath Tower, 403, Circular Road, Lalpur, Ahirtoli, Ranchi (Jharkhand) Contact: 9934113030
GWALIOR:- 106 MLB colony, Near Miss school, Padav, Gwalior Contact: 6262063030
Mail us at– firstname.lastname@example.org