It is an honour to our defence force that the longest bridge is build on the name of Col. Chewang Rinchen. The bridge is inaugurated by our defence minister Rajnath Singh. It is located about 45 km away from India – China Border.
Characteristics of longest bridge
- It is located between the Karakoram and Chang Chenmo mountain ranges, is a 400-meter long bridge.
- This is India’s all-weather highest altitude bridge.
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) build it on River.
- The bridge connects Durbuk and Daulat Beg Oldie areas. It is a section of the road between Karakoram Pass and Leh region.
- It uses micro pilling technology.
- altitude is about 15,000 feet.
- Another characteristics is to connects Ladakh and all interior areas of Jammu and Kashmir with other parts of the country.
- So that it can help in development , employment, agriculture, education etc.
- It is a section of the road between Karakoram Pass and Leh region.
- The span is 15 months .
- Bridge will also help in strengthening national security in border areas.
- Bridge will help in tackling the challenges related to the smuggling of Chinese products.
- Dumping of goods in the border areas also can be easily tackle.
Some information about Col Chewang Rinchen
- He born on 11 November 1931 in Nubra Valley.
- People also knows him as ‘Lion of Ladakh’.
- Indian Government gave him gallantry award Mahavir Chakra for his service twice also receive Sena medal for Indo- China war.
- Chewang Rinchen joined the Nubra Guards in 1948.
- He fought Indo-Pak war in Nubra Valley.
- He played an important role in the Indo-Pakistani War of 1971.
- At the age of 17 he receives Mahavir Chakra award.
About Shyok River
- The river on which bridge is build originates from Rimo glacier,also called “The river of death.”
- It is also tributary of river Indus.
- Another name of river is Sindhu.
- The river flows through China , Pakistan and India border.
- The river also help to Geologists to learn more about evolution of earth.