Defense Minister Rajnath Singh will visit the Cochin Shipyard along with Navy Chief Admiral Karambir Singh to take stock of the country’s first indigenous aircraft carrier (IA-1), which has been delayed for a long time, has been inducted into the Navy’s fleet. On departure, INS Vikrant will be known as INS Vikrant.
The Defense Minister will review the construction of the aircraft carrier INS Vikrant in Kochi, an additional aircraft carrier crucial in view of the escalating Chinese aggression in the Indian Ocean region. INS Vikrant is India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier. Its sea trials are expected to begin in 2021 and it is said to be commissioned by 2022.
Also known as ‘Indigenous Aircraft Carrier 1 (IAC-1)’, INS Vikrant is being constructed by Cochin Shipyard Limited for the Indian Navy.
A look at India’s first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-1) INS Vikrant-
- INS Vikramaditya is currently the only operational aircraft carrier in India.
- INS Vikrant has faced several delays since the start of work in 2009.
- 75 percent indigenous materials and equipment are installed in the aircraft carrier
- Many Indian companies are involved in its manufacturing in various ways.
- Work on INS Vikrant awaits completion even after 11 years of commencement
- Vikrant is in an advanced stage and sea trials are expected soon
- It is a modern aircraft carrier weighing about 40,000 metric tons.
- The length of this ship is about 260 meters and its maximum width is 60 meters.
- Will be fully ready in late 2022 or early 2023
- It was launched in a new avatar on 12 August 2013 after the completion of the first phase of reconstruction.
- To help the plane take off, a 37,500-ton ramp was installed in it
- The name Vikrant is derived from the Sanskrit word Vikrantha, which means “courageous” in Hindi.
- It is designed to operate the MiG-29K and other light combat aircraft.
- It will carry an air group of up to thirty aircraft,
This will include about 25 ‘fixed-wing’ fighter aircraft.
- Mainly MiG-29K, can also carry 10 Kamov Ka 31 or Westland Sea King helicopters
- The Kamov Ka-31 will fulfill the Airborne Early Warning (AEW) role
- It is an aircraft carrier with STOBAR structure
- It has a STOBAR configuration with a ski-jump
The construction of the country’s first indigenous aircraft carrier Vikrant is currently in the third phase. The 40 thousand tonne vessel being built at Kochi Shipyard Limited (CSL) is likely to be commissioned in early 2021.