A new post in Indian Armed Forces
On Independence day PM Narendra Modi introduce the post of Chief Defence Staff which will integrate all three services- the Indian Army , the Airforce , Indian Navy.
He said that “Our forces are India’s pride. To further sharpen coordination between the forces, I want to announce a major decision from the Red Fort: India will have a Chief of Defence Staff- CDS. This is going to make the forces even more effective.”
- The retired officer’s of the government wanted the CDS post from the long time.
- After the Kargil War this post was first time introduced.
- To ensure better coordination between all the forces this post is created.
- The CDS is the post who will see all the issues related to all three forces.
- Emergency issues crucial situations during the war.
- He will also served as the military adviser to PM on nuclear issues
- It is a five star military officer and also requires for the betterment of the national security system.
- One CDS for all three forces.
- In other countries, they are called as Commander Chief , Supreme Commander etc.